Defending against the Mark
How Would You Defend Against The Mark?
Somebody asked this question yesterday. They were referencing the new "mark rules", and being a defender in the full back line.
Here was my reply - In general, your number one priority is to deny clean possession in the Scoring Zone
- Just focus on the man. In fact, face the man, denying opportunities for "The Dinky Ball" ( short 20-25 M Passes will make up the majority of marks)
- Do not switch off, even for a second. You now don't get a chance to defend.
- Learn your opponents body language, and how they position their body, especially their hands, as the ball is being delivered.
- Practice anticipating the moment before the ball arrives, without having vision of the full flight of the ball, and getting a hand in
- Insist that there is serious pressure on the kicker in the "Set Up Zone"
- Develop clear communications with your goal keeper